A Bicycle Tournament
The amusing exercise of riding upon the two-wheeled velocipede, or bicycle, has been taken up by the enterprising gentlemen of Liverpool with extraordinary spirit. The Liverpool Velocipede Club, of which Mr P B Drinkwater is president and Mr J M Caw honorary secretary, has enrolled a large number of active members. Races open to general competition and special matches of speed have taken place, before a multitude of spectators, in the neighbourhood of the town; but the bicycle tournament, on Saturday last, at the gymnasium conducted by Mr John Hulley, in Myrtle Street, was an event of still greater interest. The sports were performed under the direction of Mr Anderson, master-of-arms at the gymnasium. The bicycle practice embraced tilting at the ring, throwing the javelin, fencing with swords, sundry evolutions and what was described as fancy riding. In all these feats the velocipedeans displayed perfect mastery of the machine, guiding it with the left hand. Ten tilts were allowed at the ring, the winner being the competitor who took off the greatest number. The rings were suspended from a beam and the competitors in a number of instances very skilfully bore them off upon their lances, and in most other cases they were displaced, if not actually carried off. Mr R W Leyland proved the most dexterous in this game, and gained the prize, having borne off the ring six times out of ten tilts. In the throwing of the javelin also great skill was displayed.
A Bicycle Tournament. Illustrated London News, May 01, 1869; pg. 445