boughton-info

Boughton

Note that this village has the full title of Boughton under Blean, and is more usually known simply as Boughton locally.

Boughton Street is a village in the borough of Swale in Kent, England. It is located on the erstwhile main road between Faversham and Canterbury (the A2), which now bypasses the village. The 13th century parish church of St Peter and Paul stands about a mile away from the main village.

In times past, Boughton supported over 20 retail establishments and several pubs. As of 2009, there was just a small general store, a post office and two hairdressers in the main street. Just two pubs remain, the ‘White Horse’ and the newly refurbished ‘Queen’s Head’, plus ‘Martin’s Restaurant’ which is just away from the centre of the village.

Boughton under Blean

Boughton under Blean is a village and civil parish between Faversham and Canterbury in southeast England. “Boughton under Blean” technically refers only to the hamlet at the top of Boughton Hill; the main village at the foot of the hill is named Boughton Street but the whole is referred to as “Boughton under Blean” or more commonly as just “Boughton”.

Before the opening of the A2 Boughton bypass in 1976, Boughton lay on the main route between London and Canterbury. As well as this, having passed through the village and climbed Boughton Hill, it is the first place from which one is able to see the towers of Canterbury Cathedral if one is travelling from the direction of London. Due to this it is mentioned in Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, in ‘The Canon’s Yeoman’s Prologue’.

The poet and translator Sir Thomas Hawkins was baptised on 20 July 1575 at Boughton under Blean. He was the eldest son of Sir Thomas Hawkins (1548/9–1617) of Nash Court, Boughton, and his wife, Ann (1552–1616), daughter of Cyriac Pettyt of Colkyns, also in Boughton. His 1625 translation The Odes of Horace the Best of Lyrick Poets was republished in 1631, 1635 and 1638, and plagiarized in 1652. He died in the parish of St Sepulchre’s, London, probably in late 1640. The family remained Roman Catholic until well into the 18th century. Nash Court was attacked by Protestant crowd during the 1715 Jacobean uprising and Hawkins’s valuable library destroyed.

Leave a Reply