This velocipede was patented January 5th, 1869 and is on exhibition at 17 State Street, Boston. It has been thoroughly tested and is pronounced a complete success. It will be seen that it is very different from Bradford’s machine. The front wheels are used as guiding wheels, the rear as the driving ones. It is propelled by both hands and feet, acting together or separately. The propelling power is almost unlimited and is furnished by cranks in the hind axles, with lever attachments. It has three different steering arrangements, either of which can be applied, according to the taste of the purchaser. In all these, the forward wheel and axle are turned with a lever arrangement, operated upon by the hand. The machine develops both chest and limbs and can be readily used by ladies and children. A little girl of six years has ridden it for an hour without fatigue. It is so constructed, that scruples of delicacy need prevent no lady from driving it. It can be driven either backwards or forwards, will run upon the road, at the rate of fifteen miles an hour and will ascend any ordinary hill with ease. It is claimed, that it is the only machine made that can be checked in going down hill, or that can be stopped instantly. The machine varies in size and weight. That most in favour, has a wheel of three feet and a half in diameter and a weight of about one hundred pounds. It is constructed of the best material and is neat and nobby in appearance. Its price is $125.
The velocipede: its history, varieties, and practice, J. T. Goddard (1869)