lyminge-info

Lyminge

Lyminge is a village in southeast Kent, England. It lies about five miles from Folkestone and the Channel Tunnel, on the road passing through the Elham Valley. The Nailbourne stream begins in the village and flows north through the Valley, to become one of the tributary streams of the Great Stour. The hamlet of Ottinge lies to the NE on the road to Elham.

Lyminge has a vibrant pub, a school, a post office, a hairdresser, a thriving coffee shop, a grocery store, and many other shops and services. This is largely due to the large elderly population in the village, of whom many do not drive. The sense of community is also felt within the monthly newsletter, paid for by advertisements from local businesses, detailing the various events and clubs within the local area.

Lyminge was named “Kent’s Best Village” in 1998.

The Elham Valley Railway ran from Canterbury to Folkestone through the village from 1887 until eventually closing in 1947. The station building exists today as the library, situated in The Sidings, off Station Road.

Former Lyminge Station

Lyminge has been a focus of archaeological work for over a half a century. In December 1953 two inhumation burials were discovered there by workmen working for farming contractors and subsequent excavations led by Alan Warhurst resulted in the discovery of a 6th century Jutish cemetery containing 44 graves. The grave assemblages were remarkable, although not unusual for this period, and contained a lot of high status jewellery, weapons such as spear-heads, swords and shield bosses and some rare glass claw beakers of exceptional quality and condition. Excavations are now being led by Dr. Gabor Thomas of the University of Reading and continue to contribute to the field of archaeology.

One of the oldest standing structures in the village is the Parish Church of St Mary and St Ethelburga. This beautiful Church has stood since 633AD and is still very active today, looking after the needs of the community.

Leave a Reply