Tricycling (1882)

Tricycling

On Saturday afternoon the second meet of tricyclists was held on Barnes Common. The number of riders was between 400 and 500 and as may be supposed, there was a great veriety of machines. The following took part in a procession which, starting from the Putney side of the common, went past the signpost in the main road, over the Barnes station railway bridge, along the Richmond road towards Sheen, round Sheen Church to Mortlake and returned to Barnes Common by the road taken on the outward journey: – Finchley Tricycle Club, 25 riders; London Tricycle Club, 37; West Kensington Tricycle Club 13; Acton 13; Alliance Tricycle Club, 8; Merry Rovers Tricycle Club, 4; Stanley Tricycle Club, 3; Hornsey Bicycle Club, 3; Canonbury Bicycle Club, 5;  Mid-Surrey Cyclists’ Club, 12;  Otto bicycle Club, 8; and a large number of unattached riders, including many ladies in sociables. The meet was a great success and was carried out in the most satisfactory manner, under the direction of the following marshals: –  W T Davey, Acton Tricycle Club, Chief marshal; H J Ball, West Kensington Tricycle Club; G Lacy Hillier, Finchley Tricycle Club; Mr Downes Mills, London Tricycle Club; A G de Tejada, West Kensington Tricycle Club; R Thornton, Finchley Tricycle Club; B Redwood, Finchley Tricycle Club; S H R Salmon, London Tricycle Club; W A Smith, Acton Tricycle Club; T Vine, West Kensington Tricycle Club; and  L Waters, Finchley Tricycle Club.&
The Times, May 15, 1882; pg. 12

Leave a Reply